SparkPeople.com: Get a Free Online Diet

Monday, February 8, 2010

Idea for summer~ number two!

Well I hated the mosquitos that we had last year so I decided that this year we are making bat houses! They will take care of the bugs and we can enjoy the outdoors in piece. I will place them around the backyard on huge posts. For those of you who have not made it to Austin, Tx to see the bats well this could be an alternative. I remember the first time I saw the show. I kept thinking what is the the big deal then......whoosh......the sky turned dark with loads of bats out for the night. It was the most amazing thing I have ever seen well next to childbirth. lol It was a beautiful show. I suggest that if you ever get a chance then mosey on down there to check it out!

I also need to trim my apple trees! I am not sure when you are supposed to do this and how. I would love to hear ideas. I know it sounds like I have tons of things going on but it is just my list from last year that didn't get finished. We do a lot of canning so the trees need to be lower and produce a higher yield so that I can make pies and apple sauce!! My pear trees are fine but I need to find an organic spray to keep the pesty bugs off!!!

Now if you have a garden and have problems with the animals taking off with your produce....well I have been told that a great way to fix this is to use pie pans.

What you will need~

four posts (for each corner of the garden)
8 pie pans
a bag of popcorn unpopped
twisty ties or pipe cleaners
a hole punch
heavy fish line


Take pie pans and punch matching holes around the pans (so you can tie them back together)
fill with a 1/2 of popcorn and then put the two pie pans together (the bottoms should face out on both sides)
use the twisty ties to tie the pie pans together so that the popcorn does not fall out.
Tie fishing line through one of the holes
make string long enough so that you can attach it to the poles.

Now I haven't used this idea yet but we are trying it out this year. I also know that merrigolds planted in between the veggie rows is supposed to deter animals!!

Do you have a great summer idea? How about a craft? We are always looking for great ideas!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment