SparkPeople.com: Get a Free Online Diet

Monday, February 8, 2010

Ideas for summer~

Ok so I know I am thinking ahead but......It is really good to be prepared. Now is the time to really start thinking about your garden. What do you want to plant? How much space do you have to work with? I start planning now so that I can start drawing up plans, picking out seeds and start growing them so I have great seedlings so that they are ready to plant. I also need to plan a place for my composting so that I can keep it going. During the winter I put my compost right on my garden. For those who live in small spaces a contained compost is a great idea! Here is how to do that:

What you need~

1- medium sized ruber maid storage container (size will depend on space. I used one that was about a 5 gallon)
1- bag of organic soil
1- organic\natural paper
1- bucket of water
1- container of earh worms (this is optional but it works faster with them)

First drill small holes in bucket as follows

2 on each end and four on the sides. They should only be about the size of a pencil.

Next, add a little damp soil to just cover the bottem.
Take the paper and rip it up into strips. Wet them then lay over the top of the soil.
Add worms!

It is that easy! Then just add all your food left overs, BUT do not put meat or dairy products in your compost. It will stink and if you have a small space it will not smell great! You canput egg shells, lettuce, tomatoes, bananas, etc! You will want to turn the soil about every three weeks but be careful of the worms! You don't want to hurt them! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment